The Dillema
This blog begins in a time of cold rainy nights. Imagine this: Being on a deserted island and seeing in the distance, in the middle of a river, a treasure chest. The temptation to go open the chest is overwhelming but the currents are too strong and you might get hurt. Now you know that when the sun reaches a certain point, you can safely go. Do you take the risk not being able to resist the temptation or do you wait for the perfect time to enjoy your treasure in all its glory.
This is somewhat what I feel like. Japan is my treasure and I want to explore it at all costs but its freezing cold outside and raining. Patience is key. I will wait until the sun shines and the rain stops but its eating me from the inside.
On a brighter note: I like cookies
The Facts... Or What I Try to Pass as a Fact
So where to begin, I was rudely cut off recently, Shitsureishimasu! I guess I could start by explaining what I'm doing here practically. For those of you who don't know me too much but are reading this blog as a substitute for talking to me, I've been studying the japanese language for the past 2 years at the University of Montreal. It has recently come to my attention that there are many people with whom to practice here in Japan. That in mind, I'm currently trying to get my minor in East Asian Studies at UofM here under the program name of "Japanese Language and Japanese Studies Program". But that's just an excuse.... I really have no idea what I'm doing here!
To briefly recapitulate what I've been up to for this past month in the country of the rising sun, I've made new friends, rediscovered old ones, discovered new scenery, lived moments that I would never have thought imaginable. I live in Ihouse or as I like to call it: Otaku HQ. I have my little 1½ with no kitchen and really uncomfortable chair. For the first month, it wasn't so bad, I had many occasions to travel in Japan but recently, I came to the conclusion that weeks would be reserved strictly for studying! I can't deviate too much from my main quest which is to master the language but I have a long way to go before I even find my japanese level acceptable.
The Title
Some (or most) of you are utterly confused about that title: Chelly Brossoms! It's a joke, somewhat mocking the japanese pronounciation of the ls and Rs that they just can't seem to get right. And probly a critique of the American vision that anything that is not pronouced following their way is the wrong way. I had some sort of epiphany the other day when I heard an American tell a Japanese person: "Your Japanese is very good, it sounds very american"... think of it... i'll leave that at that...
The Emotional Soul Searching Monologue of Complete non-neccesaryness to you... You don't have to read it
I left everything behind to come here. My family, my Ben, my home, my life! I of course try to keep my feet on the ground but it's hard to not get confused in the grand scheme of things. I'm here to perhaps find the inspiration that i'm missing that has been burdening my soul by its emptyness. Is it here, did I leave it behind, have I not found it yet or maybe did I find it and don't know what to do with it... all I know is that I haven't found that answer. Or maybe is it (and pardon the obvious book reference) a question that I am searching for. It's hard to find an answer without a question.....
See... told ya its easy to get confused... Thank god I'm not on drugs
I'll be ending this blogue on that soul searching note... hoping that one day I can understand what I write. Seriously!
Monday, October 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yeah ... that whole soul searching thing? I did that too, especially when I first got here. Two weeks in and I was kicking myself thinking, what did I leave behind to come here? Is this really the place I've been dreaming of all my life? Is it here that I'll find myself? Is it perhaps that in leaving my comfortable surroundings I might find out who I am, as an individual, as opposed to part of my environment? Leaving everything behind for such a long time ... it was such a painful decision, but I knew I had to do it, right? Under the guise of a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Creative Writing and Japanese ...
ReplyDelete